Skip to main content

A London MBA changes me: Noufi Al-Malki

Noufi Al-Malki

Noufi Al-Malki wants to build a business empire of her own. This is an over-ambitious dream for a woman from Arabian Peninsula as the women there generally stays in the confines of home to raise families. But buoyed by the confidence of higher education, more and more Arab women are thinking of entrepreneurship in their search for freedom and stand on their own feet. 

With baking as passion she eagerly looks to carve a niche in this area of business. Management study in London has helped to shape her dreams on a strong platform. She is pursuing an MBA at the University of Lincoln. 

Recent studies prove that in many GCC countries women university graduates outnumber men. However, the success in bridging the gender gap in education is not reflected in the workforce. The study found that women comprise only 19.2% - fewer than one in five - of the workforce in the GCC economies. This means that the countries are underusing a significant resource that could otherwise contribute greatly to their ambitions. Now women like Noufi Al-Malki would like to bridge this gap through their entrepreneurial ventures. Excerpts of an interview with Noufi Al-Malki to know how a foreign MBA changed her dream and passion over the years... 



Why did you decide to follow an MBA in UK?

My name is Noufi Al-Malki, I am studying business management at the University of Lincoln. I chose to study in the UK for many reasons the most important reason was for a better education with no offence to the Omani and Gulf universities. I chose this major because iI have a lot of potentials and ideas that I want to share and things to add which do not exist in Oman. 



What is your ambition?

I want to be a remarkable business woman and I want to make a difference in the society for the best I also have chosen this major because baking is my hobby and I would like to open a business in this sector in the near future. 



How do you feel the difference of study environment in both Gulf and UK?

There is a huge difference between studying in the Gulf and studying in the UK or any other foreigner country due to the different languages, traditions and religion. I personally have experienced a lot of difficulties I was home sick at the beginning, I used to get lost a lot and I am responsible for myself so I have to do everything by myself. What I have been through for the past two years made me more confident, responsible and much stronger. I definitely have changed and my language has improved significantly since I used to face a difficulty because I wasn't as fast as a native speaker in comprehension and writing. All of these challenges are worth it because I became a better person and I am sure that I will get the job of my dreams after am done with my studies in two years. I advise all the Arab students to join this path because it will improve their knowledge and will provide them with better job opportunities. 



Can you give a brief on University of Lincoln? 

The university provides a very good learning environment for its students such as a library, a student union, LPAC building where the students gather to have a good time watch football matches and play pool they also throw parties and events for students almost every weekend. There are many clubs and societies a student can join like canoeing, rugby, karate, international students’ society and I am a member of both the business and the Islamic society and there is also a sport centre that includes a gym. There are students from all nationalities such as Oman, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Syria, Russia, Ukraine, Germany, and Africa. 



How much spending is needed? Is there any English proficiency test to be passed? 

All you need to apply for the university is to score at least 5 in IELTS test and send them a copy of the high school certificate and the study fees are around 9000 pounds a year. Yes i do have a history of baking my mother is the one who taught me she is very good at baking she used to have her own business i also used to watch cooking TV programs and i got inspired by Roxanne who is a cake engineer and i want to be the 1st cake engineer in the middle east. 



How do your relatives help to reach out your dream of studying in London? 

I studied high school at Dohat Al-Adab public school, my grandfather is a very successful businessman as my uncle is as well and they advised me to major in business management but i might major in marketing in my last year because i loved the subject more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Should Not Opt For IIT Bombay

This article is written by IITians in the blog Actors Imran and Anushka during a cultural program at IIT Bombay If asked to compare IIT Bombay to IIT Delhi, most students say that the difference is negligible. Both are in metropolitan cities with good options for hostels, PG accommodations, food and entertainment. Cultural activities are equally good as is the faculty and study methodology. Even placements at the two IITS are amongst the best in the country. Yet figures indicate that the top JEE rank holders prefer Computer Science Engineering at IIT Mumbai rather than IIT Delhi. But, we are here to tell you when and why you can avoid IIT Mumbai. Mumbai IIT was earlier placed in the suburbs, away from the crowds, giving IITians the space and peace to pursue their career goals. Today the area in Powai is surrounded by high rise building, malls and traffic snarls, bringing with it all the clatter and patter of a metropolitan hub. Just like the population and popular

Story of a B-Tech engineer’s love for music

Passion is one where everybody wants to plunge in. You may be forced to pursue alien paths in life. But your passion may be just opposite to that. Whatever, if you do a bit of research, you will get a path. Higher education is a world you have to choose carefully. That can lead you to peace and prosperity. Why I write this now is when I got a letter from a parent who is suffering from his son’s adamant approach to pursue a programme in music. As a parent he is not against music. But the thing is that, his son is an engineer. He had done his B-Tech from a premier tech-college of India- NIT. Now the son is working as an electrical engineer in a good firm in Bahrain. He draws around Rs.1 lakh per month. This is a good salary for a student who just now starts his career. But now the son wants to pursue his private passion- Music. He is an ardent music lover. His first few months salary was spent for setting up a studio at home. He bought few good expensive instruments and music equipmen

Second Pakistani University opens in UAE

Abasyn University RAS AL KHAIMAH, (UAE): One more Pakistani University has started its operations in Ras Al Khaimah with a mission to provide good quality affordable education for Pakistani families living in UAE. Name as “Abasyn University ”, the new educational platform will offer degree courses to the 800 to 1,000 pupils who comes out of Pakistani high schools in the UAE every year. Previously Szabist University in Dubai was the only Pakistani university in the emirates. Abasyn’s Ras Al Khaimah centre is its overseas branch campus. As a famed brand in Pakistan, the Abasyn University has campuses in Peshawar and Islamabad. Abasyn University is considered to be more affordable as it charges only Dh1,200 a month. This makes it more affordable than Szabist which charges Dh1,900, and Abasyn is significantly cheaper than other institutions. On average, university fees in the UAE start at about Dh25,000 a year. However, for anything science or engineering based, costs can rise